.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Everything eCommerce

Thursday, December 30, 2004

The Long Tail Effect Part 3

An update on Obscure Obtuse Geometry. Well it took 1 day, but my article on the Long Tail Effect Part 2 which mentioned obscure obtuse geometry is now #1 on Google for this search phrase. There was no doubt that my page would be able to achieve this ranking since the phrase itself is complete nonsense, but I was really surprised to see just how quickly Google indexed the site and incorporated the content.

And now on with the real juicy stuff. I thought of a buinsess today that perfectly illustrates the long tail effect of marketing. Cafe Press. For those of you that haven't seen this site, they are a print on demand company that sells tens of thousands of products from thousands of different websites. Each of these sites customizes the products with graphics and then promote it on their own site. The end result is that Cafe Press is able to print these products on demand, and capture a wide variety of customers.

I have begun to exploit the possibilites of long tail marketing further through the use of keyword buys on Google and Overture. These keywords are not your typical ones like Ecommerce or Site Design, but instead I have focused on extremely narrow keyword phrases that I think will bring qualified traffic very economically. I cannot see how companies can afford to pay $5.00 or higher for high demand keywords like ecommerce. Instead I am focusing on things like "improve my online business" this keyword phrase only will deliver 10 or so visitors a month for a grand total of $1.50, but each one of these visitors is much more likely to be interested in what I am offering. I'll keep you posted on the results although a few of you already know the result because you've followed a paid link.

5 Comments:

  • wow man obscure obtuse geometry is amazing

    By Blogger Pupsipu, at 10:21 PM  

  • Maybe I can sell you a T-Shirt then from Cafe Press that says I Luv Obscure Obtuse Geometry. :)

    By Blogger Josh, at 9:48 AM  

  • I like your blog about design michigan site web, make sure to check design michigan site web web site out as well!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 AM  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here!
    I'm definitely going to be checking back on your blog.

    I have a professional web site hosting services site. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 AM  

  • Think that could give you some Search Engine popularity, and traffic???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Google
 
Web everything-ecommerce.blogspot.com